From holiday travel to decorating, these tips will keep the whole family safe this season.
‘Tis the season to do all the holiday activities, from shopping, traveling, decorating to wrapping, the National Spine Health Foundation has issued its Spine Health Guide for holiday safety. The downloadable guide offers 5 holiday safety tips that can have a positive impact on Americans’ spinal health and overall well-being:
- Recruit a decorating buddy. Ask a friend or loved one to help you carry decorations and spot you on a ladder to keep the holidays injury-free.
- Create a gift wrapping station. Instead of sitting on the floor to wrap presents, set up a station with a supportive chair and all your supplies within arm’s reach.
- Shop with your spine in mind. Avoid carrying heavy shopping bags and wear supportive shoes if you’ll be standing or walking for long periods of time. Online shoppers should maintain an ergonomic position while sitting to prevent text neck.
- Keep your plate colorful. If you’re enjoying a traditional American feast of mashed potatoes and pies, also include bone-healthy options such as figs, pomegranates, and dark leafy greens.
- Book the aisle seat. If you’re traveling by plane, train, or bus, book the aisle seat so it’s easier to get up and stretch your back. Bringing along a lumbar support pillow will also help keep your journey pain-free.
You can download the full guide with these 5 holiday safety tips below. To get more important spine health tips and information, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.2022_holiday_guide