IT’S NOT HOW MUCH YOU LIFT, IT’S HOW WELL YOU LIFT.
Use these techniques while exercising to ensure proper lifting!
- Think mechanics before you lift:
- How will you physically lift an object?
- Where will you place your hands?
- How can you use leverage as an aid?
- When in doubt, ask a friend for help.
- Test the object’s weight – if it is hard to hold, it may be very difficult to lift.
- Bend your knees. Squat close to the object with your back straight and head up.
- Stand, using your legs and core to lift, and keep your back straight using a neutral spine.
- Keep the object close to your body.
- Maintain good balance and remain steady.
- Keep breathing.
- Never twist while lifting! For example, resist the temptation to turn and retrieve something from the back seat of your car.